The Syntax Workbook was written as a response to the students and instructors who, over the years, have requested more problem sets that give greater experience in analyzing syntactic structure. Aligned chapter-by-chapter with Carnie’s bestselling textbook, this workbook provides over 120 new exercises on all of the major topics in generative syntax.
- An all-new workbook to accompany the bestselling syntax textbook, Syntax: A Generative Introduction, which answers the need for a practical text in this field
- Features over 120 problem sets with answers, designed to give students greater experience of analyzing syntactic structure
- Exercises and topics covered includes phrase structure, the lexicon, Case theory, ellipsis, auxiliaries, movement, covert movement, locality conditions, VP shells, and control
- Supported by online student and instructor resources at www.wiley.com/go/carnie,
- Structured to reflect the style and chapter-by-chapter coverage of the textbook, but its practical, reader-friendly layout also makes it suitable for use as a stand-alone Workbook
Important note: several people have asked me if the workbook duplicates the problem sets in the textbook. It does not. The textbook still contains extensive problem sets suitable for both practice and for evaluation. The answers to the questions in the 3rd edition of the actual textbook are NOT provided for students. This workbook, by contrast, is designed primarily for student practice. It contains additional problems above and beyond those in the textbook, and it contains model answers to help students practice..
Wiley-Blackwell Website for the workbook
Errata sheet (no password required)